Last Updated on June 21, 2022 by Brian Drew
A lot of times, a boat hook is the most overlooked tool when it comes to equipping your boat with the essential gear. Its importance is not realized until when it is required, that is when you need to fend off or dock or undock. But there is a lot more you can actually do when you have one on board.
You can even grab a bag with one or pull debris out of the water and use it in numerous other ways. If you are looking to buy the best boat hook for yourself, then you will find a number of options available in the market.
But if you want to save yourself some time and effort, then you have come to the right place. Below is a review of the best floating and telescoping boat hooks of the year. Read on to find out which one will best suit your needs.
Below you can find our top 5 selection of the best boat hook for 2022
|Best Boat Hooks||Key specs||Full Review|
|Garelick/Eez||Lightweight aluminum rod; Telescoping twist-lock;||Read me!|
|FMS Small Shock / Bungee Cord Hook Open||Durable plastic head; 1.75 x 0.74 x 0.19inches; Compatible with ¼ inch diameter shock cord;||Read me!|
|Shurhold 130||Durable plastic head; 3-in-one hook; Line-carrying option;||Read me!|
|Grappling hook, Handmade Outdoor Climbing Folding Carabiner with 3-Claws||Stainless steel grappling hook; Foldable claws; Rope-ring diameter 0.65 inches; 7.3 inches long||Read me!|
|Deluxe Telescoping Boat Hook, 36 – 72 Inches||Aircraft-grade aluminum pole; Glass-reinforced nylon head;||Read me!|
Top Rated Boat Hook: Garelick/Eez-In Premium Telescoping Boat Hook – 3.5′ – 8′
If you want a compact boat hook that is also long enough for all your mooring and docking tasks, then the telescoping gaff by Garelick is perfect for you. The entire pole is light and strong, made with anodized aluminum, and comes with a satin finish.
It has three telescopic sections that open out to give you a really long pole which is useful when docking
The gaff is very durable and can even be used in salt water without any problem. The vinyl grip prevents slippage even in wet conditions and the telescopic twist-lock ensures that the pole does not collapse even under pressure. It also comes with a bright red plastic tip which is useful while fending off and docking.
- Strong – As the tube portion is fully aluminum, it stays strong and does not flex even when extended to its full length
- Light – Despite a good length and a metal body, the rod is very light weighing only 2 pounds
- Anti-corrosive – The tube is made of anodized aluminum to resist corrosion
- Easy to stow – The telescoping pole can be contracted into a small pole and stowed easily even in a small space
- Poor end cap – The plastic red cap at the end that is useful during fending off tends to snap off or come undone and gets lost easily
Best Boat Hook: FMS Small Shock / Bungee Cord Hook Open
Shock cords are an integral part of your boating gear especially when you have to cover your ride when it’s not being used. You will also need them in case you are going to tow your ride. The FMS bungee cord hooks are perfect if you like to build your own bungee or shock cord for your boat tie-downs.
The hooks are extremely durable and tough making them long-lasting even in bad weather conditions. A simple ring locking mechanism secures the shock cord in place. They are compatible with shock cords or bungee cords that are ¼ inch in diameter.
The best thing about these hooks is that you can make your shock straps as long or as short as you desire.
- Tough – Even though these hooks are made of plastic they are very strong making them useful for a variety of tasks
- Durable – The hooks are made of weather-resistant plastic to last years of use
- Customizable – With these hooks, you can custom-make your own bungee or shock cords to the desired length and quality
- Anti-corrosive – As the entire body is made of plastic and not metal, it will not rust or corrode even when used in saltwater and brackish water
- Difficult cord insertion – Though the gear has been built for use with ¼Inch diameter cords, inserting the cord is a bit difficult
There are times when your existing gaff is either just not enough for all the tasks or is broken. In either case, you should consider the gaff by Shurhold. This is because it’s not just a basic boat gaff but can also be used for line carrying. What’s even better, its centered push-off comes in handy when you need to fend off during a cruise.
It is produced with high-quality plastic that does not get damaged even in extreme weather conditions. It is compatible with Shurhold’s proprietary pole and has a quick-release adapter instead of a regular screw mechanism for fixing into the pole.
What’s even better, the same pole can be used to fix other accessories like a paddle, brush, mop, and a fish net. You will also save a lot of space on board as you will only have to change the head attachment of the pole.
- Sturdy – The gear is composed of extremely durable plastic that can handle docking and undocking tasks
- Unique design – It has a unique design that helps in the centered push-off which is useful during fending off
- Multiple-use – It also has a separate hook that is designed specifically for line carrying
- No screw – This head cannot be screwed onto a pole. It has a push-release adapter that is compatible with Shurhold poles and other similar poles.
Grappling hook, Handmade Outdoor Climbing Folding Carabiner with 3-Claws
If you are into outdoor sports like climbing and also love boating, then a grappling hook is what you need. It does not make sense to have a separate docking gaff when your grappling tool itself can be used for docking.
This grappling hook is extremely sturdy as it is made with high-quality stainless steel. It has a weight-bearing capacity of up to 350 kg but is light for ease of use. When not in use, you can simply fold the claws and store them in your bag. As it is compatible with a variety of ropes and carabiners, you can use it for many outdoor activities other than just docking boats.
- Portable – The claws can be folded and can be easily carried in your gear bag wherever you go
- Durable – The entire body is constructed with German Sus 304 stainless steel which undergoes an oil quenching process to make it extremely hard
- Lightweight –Weighing under a pound (0.9 lbs), it is really light and easy to throw
- Versatile – The ring hole portion is very large making it ideal for use with ropes of different diameters and different carabiners
- Screwing mechanism – To lock the claws in place, the main stem needs to be screwed in place. This can be a bit tricky in the beginning.
Deluxe Telescoping Boat Hook, 36 – 72 Inches
When you need enough length in your docking pole but don’t want it to take up too much space on board, then the Deluxe telescoping hook will work for you. It goes from a short 3 feet to 6 feet in an easy-to-use locking cam action. So the pole will not collapse unexpectedly and will help you dock with confidence.
It has a smooth, bulbous tip for fending off and undocking. It also has a large hook that is perfect for carrying the line and grabbing the dock. It is made of hard nylon making it unbreakable. The poles are constructed with lightweight aluminum which is also triple anodized to keep it smooth for years.
- Easy to use – The telescoping mechanism is easy to use and the handles have a nice grip
- Sturdy – The pole component is completely made of Aircraft-grade aluminum that makes the gear last for years
- Durable – The head portion is reinforced nylon that can take all kinds of docking, undocking, and fending off tasks
- Corrosion-free – An aluminum and nylon design ensures that you have a rust-free experience
- Low maintenance – The aluminum of the pole portion is triply anodized to make it virtually maintenance-free
- Fixed head – Unlike most models, the head is fixed to the pole and cannot be unscrewed if required
Boating can be a lot of fun and especially so if you are equipped with the right kind of gear. When you are in the field, having quality tools can help you avoid injuries and damage to your boat. Boat gaffs are an essential part of your boat as you will need to dock, undock, moor, and fend off properly.
To help you choose the right tool, we have reviewed five of the best boat hooks complete with their pros and cons. We hope that our reviews help you choose the one that is right for you and give you a great boating experience.