Last Updated on September 12, 2022 by Brian Drew
There could be many reasons why you might consider buying a boat. The love for the blue waters, the idea of spending leisure time with family and friends, or in some cases even as a status symbol. Some people might look at the idea of fishing as a great form of exercise or relaxation.
You might even consider it due to the freedom it gives you to go fishing any time you wish. This helps you to have a healthy lifestyle.
All these are valid and you will continue to find plenty of more reasons. Buying a vessel would make you find out the required information, but you should do this even after making your purchase. There are plenty of ways to help you maintain it in the most optimum condition. An easy way to do that is by using a boat cover.
If you think buying the best boat bimini top is expensive, not doing so could in fact cost you more. It increases your maintenance expenditure and causes damage as well.
Best boat cover materials:
Here are some of the most commonly used ones:
- 100% marine grade acrylic
- 100% marine grade polyester
- 100% cotton
- 65% polyester, 35% cotton
- Olefin fabric with waterproof coating
List of properties of your boat cover you must check before buying:
- Resistance to mildew
- UV resistance
- Tear strength
Different kinds of covers:
There are many choices when it comes to buying a cover such as:
Earlier builders and suppliers would use plastic covering for protecting the boats before shipping them in trucks. This method was used as it gave the new boats excellent defense. This method is now popular to shelter any boat during the cold season. Nowadays many companies offer this service to boat owners.
- It does not flap unlike a tarp or a cover.
- It doesn’t cause scratches, chafe, or any kind of wear to the fiberglass.
- They cover the boat very well. They do such a great job that it looks as clean as the day it was wrapped.
- This durable alternative works as long-term protection against rain, snow, and even varmints like rats or raccoons.
- It is acostlyalternative and almost impossible to reuse. You will need to spend money every year as you will not be able to use the previous one again.
- They require special tools and a high level of skill. It is done using an open flame around plastic, fuel vents, and fiberglass. Hence it is not advisable to do it yourself. You will require professional help to get it done.
- If the boat is configured oddly, the process could be difficult.
The two main kinds of covers are off-the-shelf and customized covers.
These are cheaper and you could use one if you are going to store your investment indoors. Since they are constructed using less expensive materials, they are a good choice if it’s going to be stored in a shed or garage. It could help keep birds or other varmints out.
Generic covers are another type of casing that is sold in stores. They are manufactured using a variety of fabrics and as per the specific configurations of vessels.
If you are considering buying these, select the one you think would match the configuration the closest. These sheaths have an elastic drawstring or rope along the edge at the bottom. This aids in getting a perfectly snug fit. Some additional straps might be necessary for tying them down.
This sheath may be costly but are worth buying if you want to maintain it well for a long while to come. It will be worth much more than its cost in the long run.
These are most suited if it is stored outdoors. It provides optimum safety to your valued possession against the harsh winter climate as its construction is made of high-quality fabric.
The material should be waterproof so it gives protection against rain. It would be an advantage if it is slightly slippery so it sheds snow and ice too. A good custom cover could last for eight to ten years.
They are the cheapest option available to shelter your boat. While the other options offer far more security, using a tarp is much better than not using anything at all.
There is no specific color that could signify the quality. While selecting a tarp, choose one based on its weight. Usually, the heavier the tarp is, the more effective it would act as a shield.
When buying a tarp ensure that it’s much longer than the boat. This would help you to tuck it comfortably around it. A tarp has grommets that are used for tying it down. In case you need to tie off where there is no grommet use a tie-down fitting to add an extra tie-down where necessary.
- Buying them is economical.
- They come in many different colors, weights, sizes, and prices.
- They are most prone to flapping in wind and are difficult to tie down.
- They will not remain tight all through the cold season. You must inspect them regularly.
Using frames with covers or a tarp:
Frames are used along with covers or a tarp to support them. They are made using various components and styles. Using them can aid in avoid the water from pooling and causing damage or tearing the tarp or the cover. Another advantage of using this is to gain access to any boat even when covered.
Using a frame helps to eliminate any sharp corners or edges of the boat. Using a cover or tarp over these sharp edges could easily rip them. A well-constructed frame can help safeguard the boat with the help of a cover or a tarp. Reusing is a possibility too.
Mistakes to avoid:
- When taking measurements, keep in mind that you must include all the equipment that you wish to protect inside the boat.
- It should fit snugly.
- If the cover is too big, it can lead to rainwater collecting in low spots. It could also blow in windy conditions and it may tear easily.
- If you get one that’s tight, it might stretch and get damaged.
- Always use an adequate number of tie-downs so that it does not flap in windy conditions.
Each vessel is unique and there might not be a single solution that would suit every boat. You must find a perfect covering system that works best as per your requirements as well as for your asset.
Even if you find the best cover, check it regularly so that any defect can be rectified as early as possible. The amount of care you put into its well-being, the more enjoyable your experience would be on your next trip.
You will find a variety of options when buying these products. All you must do is research and understand them well. You must know what to look for among all the choices you have.
Whether you buy a cover for the first winter or you’re looking to replace your current one, do it as soon as possible. The earlier and better you safeguard your investment, the longer will be its help to increase the lifespan. It can and will be the deciding factor to ensure an enjoyable and fun outing.
We hope you found all our information useful and this assists you in yourpurchase process. We are confident you will find the right cover for your prized possession for maximum safety.